MEETINGS and EVENTS
April 26th 5:00 PM
Community Room of the Public Safety Building
Municipal Authority Meeting
April 19th 5:00 PM
Council Room at
May 24th 5:00 PM
By: Michele A. Enos
Act 32 - Local Earned
Income Tax Reform
Water Notification System
SOMERSET BOROUGH SPRING CLEAN-UP
MAY 10, 2021
With the help and cooperation of Waste Management Hauling. All items must be placed along the road right-of-way before 6:00 a.m. on Monday, May 10th, 2021. All objects, including carpets, must be cut into 4-foot lengths and tied or bundled. NO RETURN VISITS WILL BE PERMITTED.
The following items WILL NOT be picked up:
- air conditioners (unless the Freon was removed by a certified technician and tagged as such)
- other items containing Freon
- car and truck parts
- building materials from remodeling or demolition
- hazardous/infectious waste
- stones, rocks, dirt, concrete, yard waste
- normal household trash
- paint or any liquid
- no 55 gallon drums
- no item two men cannot lift.
- Paint cans accepted only if paint is completely hardened with the lids removed.
- Limit one large appliance and one large furniture item per household.
- There is a 500 pound weight limit per household (excluding the furniture and appliance item).
- There will be no return trips. Residents who do not follow the guidelines will be responsible for removal of items.
The Borough is encouraging customers to continue to pay their water / sewer bill on-line, by mail or utilizing the drop-off box at the Municipal Building located at 347 West Union Street.
The Borough will continue to be in operation and is providing essential municipal, police and emergency services during this time.
For more specific information and guidance, please visit the Centers for Disease Control at www.cdc.gov .
All Somerset Borough Offices will continue operating but will be closed to the general public. For the protection of the public and our employees, we encourage you to contact us by phone at 814-443-2661 or access the Borough’s web site for additional information and latest updates: www.somersetborough.com.
The Mayor and Council of the Borough of Somerset appreciate your cooperation during this time.
Somerset Borough Annual Water Quality Report
We are pleased to present to you our 2020 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report. This report is designed to inform you about the quality water and services we deliver to you every day. Our constant goal is to provide you with a safe and dependable supply of drinking water. We want you to understand the efforts we make to continually improve the water treatment process and protect our water resources. We are committed to ensuring the quality of your water.
Este informe contiene información muy importante sobre su agua potable. Tradúzcalo ó hable con alguien que lo entienda bien. (This report contains important information about your drinking water. Translate it, or speak to someone who understands it.)
Manage your Water/Sewer Account Online
Sign up for your mySomersetBoro account and enjoy account access at your fingertips. All you need is some basic information from your water/sewer bill and a valid email address to get started.
With your mySomersetBoro account you can view your bills Online, view your usage and payment history and make Online payments from your checking account or by credit card. Don't want a paper bill, go completely paperless and sign up for ebills.
Types of payments accepted
- Bank Account (ACH)
- American Express
- The Borough of Somerset does not charge a fee for Bank Account (ACH) payments.
- A third-party fee will apply to all electronic credit card payments.
- Effective October 1, 2016 Fee for credit cards is 2.65% or $3.00 minimum charge.
Click the link to sign up for your mySomersetBoro account today! https://somerset.authoritypay.com/
The Council of the Borough of Somerset hereby announces the following schedule for meetings for years 2020 and 2021:
- Somerset Borough Council will hold its monthly committee meeting on the second Monday of every month at 5:00 p.m.
- Somerset Borough Council will hold its monthly council meeting on the fourth Monday of every month at 5:00 p.m
- The Municipal Authority of the Borough of Somerset will hold its monthly meeting on the third Monday of each month beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Somerset Borough’s Planning Commission will hold its monthly meetings on the first Monday of each month beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- The Civil Service Commission will hold its organizational meeting on Monday, February 3rd at 1:30 p.m.
These meetings with be held at the Somerset Borough Municipal Building located at 347 West Union Street, Somerset, PA.
Exploring Pennsylvania Boroughs
BOROUGH OF SOMERSET BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
SOMERSET BOROUGH COUNCIL
" LETTERS OF INTEREST "
The Council of the Borough of Somerset is accepting “letters of interest” from Borough residents interested in serving on its various Boards/Commissions. Presently, Council is looking to fill an unexpired term on its Municipal Authority. A full term is five (5) years.
Additionally, there are two vacancies in the Borough’s Uniform Construction Code Appeals Board. A full term is three (3) years.
The duties and responsibilities can be obtained from the Borough Manager’s Office. by calling 814-443-2661; by clicking here , or by stopping at the Somerset Borough Municipal Building at 347 West Union Street.
If you are interested in serving on another Board or Commission of the Borough of Somerset, please send a “letter of interest” noting which Board or Commission you would prefer. The list of Boards and Commissions include:
- Somerset Borough Zoning Hearing Board
- Somerset Borough Planning Commission
- Somerset Borough Civil Service Commission
- Somerset Borough Municipal Authority
- Somerset Borough Codes Appeals Board
- Somerset Borough Vacancy Board
- Mary S. Biesecker Public Library Board
Letters are to be sent to:
Michele A. Enos
P.O. Box 71
347 West Union Street
Somerset, PA 15501
PROPERTY MAINTENANCE AND CODE ENFORCEMENT
As a reminder to Somerset Borough residents, the Borough’s
Code Enforcement Department will continue to enforce the
Property Maintenance Codes and the High Grass Ordinance. Common causes for violations being issued are:
- grass exceeding 6” in height
- garbage around the property
- structural deficiencies
- unsecured vacant structures with broken
windows / open doors etc.
WHEN ARE BUILDING PERMITS REQUIRED?
With the arrival of warmer weather, here are some tips for those planning construction projects: Permits are required:
• To construct, enlarge, alter, or demolish a structure.
• When sanitary facilities (water / sewer) are added.
• When a proposed change occurs in the use of a building.
AS OF JANUARY 1, 2019
All permits regulated by the UCC are now handled by Pennsylvania Municipal Code Alliance.
- Pennsylvania Municipal Code Alliance Somerset Office:
318 Georgian Place
Somerset, PA 15501
Web Site: https://pacodealliance.com/
Other Permits that are required by the Borough of Somerset:
- Borough of Somerset Building Inspections
Po Box 71 347
West Union Street
Somerset, PA 15501-0071
Fax: (814) 445-3931
Phone: (814) 445-5595.
- Shade Tree
- Water/Sewer Taps
A comprehensive listing of activities requiring permits is available at our Inspections Department; by calling Building Inspector Tom Jury at 445-5595; and on our web site www.somersetborough.com.
NO SIGNS ALLOWED ON TREES, POLES
Somerset Borough reminds residents not to place signs on trees or utility poles. The Somerset Borough Zoning Ordinance prohibits signs from being attached to trees or utility poles. Recently there have been incidents of yard sale signs being placed on trees, utility and sign poles, as well as traffic signal poles.
Public Comment Policy
Adopted by the Council of the Borough of Somerset: January 24, 2011
Council The Pennsylvania Sunshine Act (65 Pa. C.S. 701, et seq.) provides that the Board or Council of a political subdivision shall provide a reasonable opportunity at each advertised regular meeting and advertised special meeting for residents of the political subdivision or for taxpayers of the political subdivision or to comment on matters of concern, official action or deliberation which are or may be before the Board or Council prior to taking official action. (710.1).
To assure compliance with the Act, to inform members of the public who may wish to make comment, and to provide for predictable and orderly implementation of the public comment period, Somerset Borough Council has adopted this Public Comment Policy. READ MORE >