MEETINGS and EVENTS
October 25th 5:00 PM
Public Safety Building
November 22nd 5:00 PM
Public Safety Building
December 27th 5:00 PM
Public Safety Building
Act 32 - Local Earned
Income Tax Reform
Water Notification System
FUTURE JOINT MEETINGS
We will be conducting “joint meetings” with Council and Municipal Authority to discuss the Corrective Action Plan for the Sewer System. The following joint meetings will be held on the following dates:
- October 25th, 2021 @ 5:00 pm (Community Room of the Public Safety Building).
- November 22nd 2021 @ 5:00 pm (Community Room of the Public Safety Building).
- December 27th 2021 @ 5:00 pm (Community Room of the Public Safety Building.
Leaf Collection Dates
2021 Leaf pick-up:
Week of October 25th – 29th
Week of November 15th – 19th
Collection will continue each week until completion.
Leaf Collection Guidelines
Leaves only, do not mix in branches or other debris.
Each bag MUST have a green sticker. Stickers are available at the Borough Water Office, 347 W. Union St.
Leaves must be bagged and out by the curb before 6:00 am.
Bags must be no larger than 32-gallon capacity.
Compost from this project is available at no charge to residents of the Borough participating in the program. Call 443-2661 for information concerning availability.
If you have leaves after the collection dates are completed. Bags may then be dropped off at the Borough’s Public Works Garage Monday through Friday between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. No bags will be accepted without the proper stickers and no drop offs are permitted outside of the authorized hours.
“DROP-OFF HOURS” AT OUR PUBLIC WORKS GARAGE
We have established evening and weekend hours to accommodate our residents who work during the day and are unable to access our site prior to 2:00 pm. We will be advertising the following hours, which may be modified to accommodate the daylight savings time hours:
- Monday: 6:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- Tuesday: 6:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- Wednesday: 6:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- Thursday: 6:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- Friday: 6:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- Saturday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Sunday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
October 3rd - 8th, 2021
When will flushing be done in my neighborhood?
Our flushing schedule is as follows:
October 3rd through October 8th from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. All remaining areas in the Borough of Somerset. Customers are asked to shut off their gate valve at their water meter from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m.
Your water service may be interrupted. If you notice that your water appears discolored in any manner we recommended that you allow several hours for it to clear up. After time has elapsed, run the cold water faucet for a few minutes to see if your water is clear again.
Manage your Water/Sewer Account Online
Sign up for your mySomersetBoro account and enjoy account access at your fingertips. All you need is some basic information from your water/sewer bill and a valid email address to get started.
With your mySomersetBoro account you can view your bills Online, view your usage and payment history and make Online payments from your checking account or by credit card. Don't want a paper bill, go completely paperless and sign up for ebills.
Types of payments accepted
- Bank Account (ACH)
- American Express
- The Borough of Somerset does not charge a fee for Bank Account (ACH) payments.
- A third-party fee will apply to all electronic credit card payments.
- Effective October 1, 2016 Fee for credit cards is 2.65% or $3.00 minimum charge.
Click the link to sign up for your mySomersetBoro account today! https://somerset.authoritypay.com/
Somerset Borough Annual Water Quality Report
We are pleased to present to you our 2020 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report. This report is designed to inform you about the quality water and services we deliver to you every day. Our constant goal is to provide you with a safe and dependable supply of drinking water. We want you to understand the efforts we make to continually improve the water treatment process and protect our water resources. We are committed to ensuring the quality of your water.
Este informe contiene información muy importante sobre su agua potable. Tradúzcalo ó hable con alguien que lo entienda bien. (This report contains important information about your drinking water. Translate it, or speak to someone who understands it.)
Public Comment Policy
Adopted by the Council of the Borough of Somerset: January 24, 2011
Council The Pennsylvania Sunshine Act (65 Pa. C.S. 701, et seq.) provides that the Board or Council of a political subdivision shall provide a reasonable opportunity at each advertised regular meeting and advertised special meeting for residents of the political subdivision or for taxpayers of the political subdivision or to comment on matters of concern, official action or deliberation which are or may be before the Board or Council prior to taking official action. (710.1).
To assure compliance with the Act, to inform members of the public who may wish to make comment, and to provide for predictable and orderly implementation of the public comment period, Somerset Borough Council has adopted this Public Comment Policy. READ MORE >
The Council of the Borough of Somerset hereby announces the following schedule for meetings for years 2020 and 2021:
- Somerset Borough Council will hold its monthly committee meeting on the second Monday of every month at 5:00 p.m.
- Somerset Borough Council will hold its monthly council meeting on the fourth Monday of every month at 5:00 p.m
- The Municipal Authority of the Borough of Somerset will hold its monthly meeting on the third Monday of each month beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Somerset Borough’s Planning Commission will hold its monthly meetings on the first Monday of each month beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- The Civil Service Commission will hold its organizational meeting on Monday, February 3rd at 1:30 p.m.
These meetings with be held at the Somerset Borough Municipal Building located at 347 West Union Street, Somerset, PA.
Exploring Pennsylvania Boroughs
BOROUGH OF SOMERSET BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
SOMERSET BOROUGH COUNCIL
" LETTERS OF INTEREST "
The Council of the Borough of Somerset is accepting “letters of interest” from Borough residents interested in serving on its various Boards/Commissions. Presently, Council is looking to fill an unexpired term on its Municipal Authority. A full term is five (5) years.
Additionally, there are two vacancies in the Borough’s Uniform Construction Code Appeals Board. A full term is three (3) years.
The duties and responsibilities can be obtained from the Borough Manager’s Office. by calling 814-443-2661; by clicking here , or by stopping at the Somerset Borough Municipal Building at 347 West Union Street.
If you are interested in serving on another Board or Commission of the Borough of Somerset, please send a “letter of interest” noting which Board or Commission you would prefer. The list of Boards and Commissions include:
- Somerset Borough Zoning Hearing Board
- Somerset Borough Planning Commission
- Somerset Borough Civil Service Commission
- Somerset Borough Municipal Authority
- Somerset Borough Codes Appeals Board
- Somerset Borough Vacancy Board
- Mary S. Biesecker Public Library Board
Letters are to be sent to:
Michele A. Enos
P.O. Box 71
347 West Union Street
Somerset, PA 15501
PROPERTY MAINTENANCE AND CODE ENFORCEMENT
As a reminder to Somerset Borough residents, the Borough’s
Code Enforcement Department will continue to enforce the
Property Maintenance Codes and the High Grass Ordinance. Common causes for violations being issued are:
- grass exceeding 6” in height
- garbage around the property
- structural deficiencies
- unsecured vacant structures with broken
windows / open doors etc.
WHEN ARE BUILDING PERMITS REQUIRED?
With the arrival of warmer weather, here are some tips for those planning construction projects: Permits are required:
• To construct, enlarge, alter, or demolish a structure.
• When sanitary facilities (water / sewer) are added.
• When a proposed change occurs in the use of a building.
AS OF JANUARY 1, 2019
All permits regulated by the UCC are now handled by Pennsylvania Municipal Code Alliance.
- Pennsylvania Municipal Code Alliance Somerset Office:
318 Georgian Place
Somerset, PA 15501
Web Site: https://pacodealliance.com/
Other Permits that are required by the Borough of Somerset:
- Borough of Somerset Building Inspections
Po Box 71 347
West Union Street
Somerset, PA 15501-0071
Fax: (814) 445-3931
Phone: (814) 445-5595.
- Shade Tree
- Water/Sewer Taps
A comprehensive listing of activities requiring permits is available at our Inspections Department; by calling Building Inspector Tom Jury at 445-5595; and on our web site www.somersetborough.com.
NO SIGNS ALLOWED ON TREES, POLES
Somerset Borough reminds residents not to place signs on trees or utility poles. The Somerset Borough Zoning Ordinance prohibits signs from being attached to trees or utility poles. Recently there have been incidents of yard sale signs being placed on trees, utility and sign poles, as well as traffic signal poles.